Whittier home at 98 Kukuk Lane, Town of Ulster. Photograph by Stephen Benson
This house, just down the road from the IBM Recreation Center, was built as a model home for the Whittier development. The majority of the Whittier houses are east of Route 32 on Vestal Hills Drive and connecting streets. The standard Whittier home resembled a Cape Cod cottage of the early 20th century.
Advertisement for Whittier Wonder Homes, Kingston Daily Freeman, May 1957. Courtesy Fultonhistory.com
Whittier’s “Montclair Wonder Home” boasted four bedrooms and two pastel ceramic tile baths for $14,250. “Other Whittier Wonder Homes starting with ‘The Salisbury’ at $12,750” were also on display.
33 Vestal Hills Drive, Whittier Homes, Town of Ulster. Photograph by Stephen Benson
Whittier homes were built in what was called the Cape Cod style, which included an attached garage, a large living-room window, doorway, and low bedroom windows tucked under the eaves.
Lake Katrine Garden Apartments, Town of Ulster. Photograph by Stephen Benson
Garden apartments like the complexes in Lake Katrine and Sunset Park in the Town of Ulster were popular with IBMers, especially with newcomers and people on temporary assignment.
Benjamin A. Storms Center, Rondout Gardens, Kingston Housing Authority, 1970. Photograph by Stephen Benson
Many people needed to be relocated once demolition in Rondout commenced in the late 1960s. One response was to build public housing. Rondout Gardens was completed in 1969 and a year later this administration building was dedicated.
Abelove House, Ringtop Road, Kingston, built 1958. Photograph by Stephen Benson
The house was designed by Hudson Valley architect William Van Benschoten for Anne and Robert Abelove and their family. Robert Abelove was a Kingston businessman. It has been carefully restored by its current owners.
Sign for Rolling Meadows on Lucas Avenue, Town of Hurley. Photograph by Ward Mintz
Rolling Meadows, just southwest of Kingston, counted many IBMers as residents. It has a range of modern houses, including ranches and split levels.
House at 160 Griffin Drive, Rolling Meadows, Town of Hurley. Photograph by Stephen Benson
The house at 160 Griffin Drive is a ranch house with Colonial touches. Ranch houses are characterized by one historian as “a sprawling, low-lying, one-floor home with ample windows to open the structure to the outside.”
Advertisement for Hillside Acres, Kingston Daily Freeman, 1966. Courtesy of Fultonhistory.com
This classified listing implores readers to “Live!–the GOOD LIFE” and touts the fact that “our tree-full and rolling land borders the Wiltwyck Country Club.” William Zang was the developer.
DeJoy House, Lynette Boulevard, Hillside Acres, Town of Ulster, built 1969. Photograph by Stephen Benson
John DeJoy commissioned Poughkeepsie architect Edmond G. Loedy to design this house. There is a later, 1999, addition by Accord architect Nancy Copley. John DeJoy began working at IBM in 1955.
Feldman House, Lynette Boulevard, Hillside Acres, Town of Ulster, built 1963. Photograph by Stephen Benson
After architect William Van Benschoten completed the nearby Abelove House, he was commissioned by Dr. Abraham Feldman, related by marriage to the Abeloves, to design this house.
Egbert Dumond House, 147 Green Street, Kingston, built c. 1690, renovated after 1777 fire. Photograph by Peter Roberts
Some IBMers were drawn to Kingston’s historic districts, including Paul Scogna and his wife Ruth, who lived here. They were also active members of Friends of Historic Kingston.
Crispell-Thing House, West Chestnut Street, Kingston, c. 1898. Photograph by Lowell Thing
This house, in the Colonial Revival style, was purchased by IBMer Lowell Thing and his wife Suzanne in 1972. Lowell Thing became involved in historic preservation and was President of the Friends of Historic Kingston.