The headquarters for the 2nd Battalion was first located at the New Paltz Hotel on the intersection of Main Street and Plattekill Avenue. When the building burned in December of 1917 they moved to Chestnut Street.
Colonel John B. Rose wrote as a conclusion to his letter regarding the withdrawal of troops to New York City Mayor John F. Hylan on December 9, 1918:
"The necessity not only for the protection of the Aqueduct but the preservation of property and accomplished transfer of the same to civil authorities co-equal. With this thought in mind and the care of the health of the men given due consideration, it is proposed to begin demobilization at once and make such a withdrawal as will give full measure of protection to Aqueduct and preservation of property of the City of New York.
To begin such demobilization on or about December 15th and gradually reduce the forces as speedily as conditions along the line and further developments will permit" (Hutton, 403).
Demobilization began at the northern end of the line and rolled down toward the city, companies being relieved in sections so as to not leave the aqueduct totally unguarded. All guardsmen that had been patroling, from Brown's Station (a former hamlet in the town of Olive, NY) to Westchester County, were discharged from service by January 10, 1919. The headquarters for the 2nd Battalion, stationed in New Paltz, moved out on January 31, 1919. By February 1st of the same year, the demobilization of the guardsmen along the aqueduct was complete.
Sadly, no signs of "Camp Fort Orange" exist today, but since the September 11, 2001 attacks on NYC, the aqueduct has again been guarded against acts of terrorism.