The Olive Free Library Is Founded
A provisional charter was obtained to create the Olive Free Library in 1958. It was the vision of Claire and Joseph Friedberg to create a community space for the benefit and enjoyment for all its local members. An absolute charter was granted in 1966 and the library was now able to funtion with regular hours and hire a librarian. The initial site of the library was the West Shokan one-room schoolhouse and later on June 3, 1972 the building that now houses the library was dedicated.