Browse Exhibits (3 total)
Camp Awosting was founded in 1900 by Dr. Walter Truslow, member of the Kings County Medical Society of Brooklyn, New York, and Blake Hillyer, president of the executive committee of the Physical Education Society of New York. The camp for boys was originally established in what is now Minnewaska State Park.Through the photographs and memorabilia compiled by William Faber Davis Jr., we are given a glimpse into the early 20th century life of male adolescents' coming of age in the mountains of Ulster County, New York.
On August 5, 1917, the New York National Guard, which had been guarding the Catskill Aqueduct, was federalized to be sent overseas. State law mandated that a militia be in place to protect the state, citizens, and resources. Therefore the New York Guard came into being on August 3, 1917. The NY Guard took over the watch on the Aqueduct from the departing National Guard. Their camp became known as Fort Orange.
Leah Catharine Deyo was born in New Paltz, NY in 1818 and resided in the Hudson Valley until her death in 1849. John and Katia Jacobs, descendants of Leah Catharine preserved a collection of her correspondence, daguerreotypes, clothing and photographs. They generously donated it to the Haviland-Heidgerd Historical Collection at the Elting Library in the 1980s. This exhibit chronicles different aspects of Leah Catharine's life and offers a glimpse into the daily life of a mid-nineteenth century woman.